Your DDoS protection planning resource
Distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks are constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest DDoS trends as well as DDoS detection and mitigation tools and techniques.
Everything you want to know about how Prolexic approaches DDoS detection and mitigation is here in our Knowledge Center. Register to receive free access to download this valuable information.
DDoS protection planning white papers
Prolexic publishes white papers for both business and technical audiences. Our Executive Suite Series papers are ideal for C-level executives (CEO, COO, CFO, CSO) that want to get up-to-speed quickly on DDoS threats, the business implications of DDoS attacks, and how to effectively defend against them. Our Technical Series papers provide a more in-depth look at DDoS mitigation and threats from an IT perspective. Technical Series papers are ideal for CIOs as well as IT and security managers.
Executive Suite Series
- Strategies for Cyber-Attack Protection: Managed Web Security Services
Learn how to protect your online business from data breaches, DDoS attacks, hacktivism and website defacement with managed web security services.
- White Paper - Weighing Risk Against the Total Cost of a Data Breach: Can You Afford a Web Application Layer Attack?
Learn why protecting your customers’ personal data is a critical consideration in your business’s cyber-attack DDoS protection and mitigation strategy.
- Threats and Mitigations: A Guide to Multi-Layered Web Security - eBook
Learn about best practices to defend today’s data center resources against web security threats to websites and web applications.
- White Paper – Man, Machine and DDoS Mitigation: The Case for Human Cyber Security Expertise
Read why human DDoS expertise is critical to effective mitigation and why automated tools have limited use.
- White Paper – Safeguarding e-Commerce Revenues from DDoS Attacks in Q4
Learn about Q4 DDoS attacks, the many different areas of your business they can affect, and how a faster DDoS mitigation response can reduce the length of site outages and revenue loss.
- White Paper – DDoS Boot Camp: Basic Training for an Increasing Cyber Threat
Learn about DDoS attacks and best practices for incident response and business continuity.
- White Paper – Data Analytics and DDoS Mitigation: Lessons Learned
Learn how to collect, measure and correlate your network traffic data to provide insight into DDoS defense strategies.
- White Paper – The Broad Impact of DDoS: It’s More Than Just an IT Issue
Learn about the far-reaching affects of a DDoS attack, how to minimize the impact across your enterprise by developing a DDoS mitigation playbook, and how to evaluate DDoS mitigation service providers.
- White Paper – Planning for and Validating a DDoS Defense Strategy
Learn how to test your mitigation strategy and build an effective “play book” against DDoS attacks.
- White Paper – Four Reasons Why DDoS Attackers Strike
This white paper explores why DDoS attackers strike and provides guidance on how to recognize the warning signs that a web site may be particularly vulnerable to attack.
- White Paper – Plan vs. Panic Making a DDoS Mitigation "Play Book" Part of Your Incident Response Plan
This white paper explores how to build a "play book" and why it is the foundation for an effective, controlled response in the event of a DDoS attack.
- DrDoS Series White Paper – Gaming Attacks
DrDoS and DDoS attacks involving the online video gaming community are widespread and harm gaming and non-gaming targets alike. Learn more in this white paper.
- DrDoS Series White Paper – SYN Reflection Attacks
SYN reflection attacks are potent and unmanned DDoS mitigation devices can create backscatter, compounding the effects of the attack. Learn how to identify and stop these attacks.
- DrDoS Series White Paper – SNMP, NTP & CHARGEN Attacks
The network protocols SNMP, NTP and CHARGEN are being leveraged by cyber attackers. Even printers are at risk! Find out how to minimize your exposure and mitigate these attacks.
- DrDoS Series Overview – Distributed Reflection Denial of Service (DrDoS) Attacks
An introduction to DrDoS attacks, an often overlooked DDoS attack method, and the potential security vulnerabilities that can expose you to DrDoS attacks. Each white paper in the series will include real-world case studies observed by PLXsert.
- DrDoS Series White Paper – DNS Reflection Attacks
DNS server and IT administrators, get prepared by learning how cyber attackers use domain name (DNS) servers to reflect and amplify DDoS attacks to hit their ultimate target.
- Frost & Sullivan Stratecast Report: Going to the Edge with Security
Although logical on paper, moving security to the edge is not as simple as porting a security operation from its current location to a multitude of distributed edge locations. There are tradeoffs.
- CSO Quick Pulse: Overcoming the Big Disconnect in Web Security
A CSO survey of 96 web security professionals found that, despite significant investment in time and resources, many companies still are not prepared to deal with potential security problems.
- IDC – Addressing the Need for Web Application Firewalls
IDC analysts John Grady, Program Manager, Security Products, and Christina Richmond, Program Director, Infrastructure Security Services, provide in-depth guidance on the need for web application firewalls as an added layer of cyber defense.
- Gatepoint Research – Beyond the Firewall: Protection & Performance
New technologies demand new, flexible approaches to web security to keep attacks from causing outages or the loss of information.
- Gartner – Magic Quadrant for Web Application Firewalls
Industry analysts provide an overview of the Web Application Firewall market and vendor strengths and cautions.
- Ovum – Tackling the DDoS Threat to Banking in 2014
Analyst Rik Turner considers banks' options in the current DDoS environment, DDoS risks, and DDoS mitigation methods for the best DDoS protection.
- Ovum – Delivering effective DDoS protection
Analyst Andrew Kellett reviews enterprise security needs and recommends 10 key criteria for selecting a DDoS security supplier for effective DDoS protection.
- IDC Analyst Connection – Denial of Service: What to Look for in a Provider
Get IDC security services program director Christina Richmond’s answers to five key questions about DDoS and DDoS mitigation providers.
Technical Series White Papers
- Web Vulnerabilities: The foundation of the most sophisticated DDoS campaigns
Learn how web application vulnerabilities put your server installations at risk of exploitation and use in DDoS botnets.
- DDoS Attacks Against Global Markets
This PLXsert analysis of global DDoS attacks indicates cyber attackers are using DDoS attacks to influence market values and interfere with exchange platforms.
- Reflection Attack Tools and the DDoS Marketplace
New methods, tools and services, including CHARGEN-based attacks, are proliferating in the DDoS marketplace, fueling a surge in DrDoS attacks. Learn more, plus how to remediate a vulnerable protocol
- White Paper – Risk Rating Analysis of DDoS Attacks: How the integration of the MIDAS Scoring System with NIST CVSSv2 can improve DDoS risk assessment
This white paper outlines how to adapt the MIDAS scoring system and blend those results with the NIST CVSSv2 calculator for a more accurate risk rating analysis of DDoS threats.
- White Paper – Firewalls: Limitations When Applied to DDoS Protection
What role does your firewall play in your DDoS mitigation strategy? This white paper helps you understand and define what your firewall can and cannot do for you.
- White Paper – Twelve Questions to Ask a DDoS Mitigation Provider
Arm yourself with 12 powerful questions to ask any DDoS mitigation provider and ensure you’re getting the right protection for your business.
- White Paper – How to Defend Against DDoS Attacks: Strategies for the Network, Transport, and Application Layers
This white paper will explore a sampling of DDoS attack types and discuss the various strategies used to defend against them. It will also discuss the benefits of investing in dedicated DDoS mitigation services as a first line of defense to both discourage cyber threats and provide fast, reliable, and real-time mitigation when an attack occurs.
The Cost of Denial-of-Services Attacks
Free report from The Ponemon InstituteLEARN MORE >>
Web Application Firewalls: The TCO Question
Analyst white paperLEARN MORE >>
Threat: Joomla Reflection DDoS-for-Hire
Compromised Joomla servers used for DDoS GET floodsLEARN MORE >>
Frost & Sullivan Stratecast Report
“Going to the Edge with Security”LEARN MORE >>
Threat: MS SQL Reflection Attacks
DDoS attack abuses MC-SQLR in SQL Server instancesLEARN MORE >>
Q4 2014 State of the Internet - Security Report
Number of DDoS attacks nearly doubles in a yearLEARN MORE >>